The Board of Directors of the Papillion-La Vista Schools Foundation voted to fund $51,011 in grants for educators in Papillion La Vista Community Schools. The teacher-initiated grants provide a variety of opportunities for students in Papillion La Vista Community Schools that would otherwise not be possible.
The Foundation awards grants twice a year to encourage unique and innovative ideas that enhance the educational experience of students in the district. Goals of the grants program include increasing student learning, building connections with families and the community, improving students’ academic performance and social behavior, inspiring innovative teaching and learning, developing a collaborative teacher learning community, and serving as a pilot for possible district-wide implementation.
“It is our privilege to support the dreams teachers have for taking their classrooms to the next level,” says John Erickson, Executive Director of the Papillion-La Vista Schools Foundation. “The best ideas come from those who are working with students every day. The Papillion-La Vista Schools Foundation is proud to recognize their dedication to education and innovation in our district.”
Fall 2015 grant recipients, titles, and projects are as follows:
- Ann Herbener, “Advanced Placement Exams,” offering financial support for Papillion-La Vista students taking Advanced Placement exams.
- Joel Bails, “Be a Monarch Character Education Program,” to encourage positive interactions and behaviors of students and staff at La Vista Junior High, and communicate that message with the community.
- Laura Darling, Penny Kimball, and Krystal Richardson, “Connecting Home & School – Bonding Through Books,” to establish and provide leveled take-home books for young K-2nd grade students at Prairie Queen.
- Hannah Griffith, Michelle Tate, and Tiffany Bottjen, “Enhancing Safety & Outdoor Play,” to purchase tricycles, helmets, and a basketball hoop for the Papillion La Vista Early Childhood Center.
- Renee Mead, “Jump Start College Credits While in High School: AP/Dual Enrollment,” offering financial support for Papillion-La Vista South students for Advanced Placement exams and Dual Enrollment tuition.
- Alison Broadwell and Carol Healy, “Language for Learning Teacher Materials,” an intervention program to teach Tara Heights and Prairie Queen children words, concepts, and statements in oral and written language.
- Paul Callahan, Tessa Hanson, Dinah Claus, Megan Brown, and Paige Clouse, “Language Lab Learning for Less,” to purchase headsets with microphones for foreign language students at PL South to complete listening and recording projects in the target language.
- Anna Eckhoff and Missy Jabens, “Plugged In: Connected and Inovative Learning,” to utilize BrightBytes CASE technology to personalize and focus the teacher professional development and district technology plan and update teaching to ensure college and career readiness.
- Rebecca Warrior, Louise Dornbusch, Megan Loberg, Scott Curry, and Lisa La Violette, “RealCare Baby Simulation,” to update curriculum and purchase new RealCare babies for Child Development students at both high schools as well as IDEAL School.
- Nathan Cain and Chris Meehan, “Titan Brew Coffee Delivery Service,” a vocational training program for special education students at Papillion-La Vista South and Papillion Junior High.
- Jeff Nienhueser, “Titan Theatre Artist in Radiance,” to offer a Shakespeare boot camp to Titan drama students.
- Molly Grasso and Jeff Nienhueser, “We’re All in This Together” for a joint Monarch-Titan production of the Disney pop culture phenomenon, “High School Musical.”
Recipients were presented their awards at their respective schools. Grant application deadlines for 2016 are February 26 and September 30. Educators can download grant applications or contact the Foundation office for more information.
Recognizing that teachers are the heart and backbone of the tradition of educational excellence in Papillion La Vista Community Schools, Bob and Karen Fase honor the individuals who have dedicated their lives to preparing students to reach their full potential. The first Fase Family Fund for Educator Excellence awards were given for Educator Recognition.Read More
Staff Spotlight features members of the Kids Club & Foundation staff and highlights all of the exciting things they get to do at work! Meet Anna Siggers, PR Intern.Read More
Learn more about one of our 2017 Legendary Educator Hall of Fame award recipients, Janey Sommers.Read More